Pages

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Lemon Glazed Angel Food Cake with Whipped Cream and Strawberries

Angel food cake is my Mom's favorite, and while I rarely think to make it, I always enjoy it. It is a unique combination of being intensely sweet yet light and airy, it is one of the few desserts that I find satisfies my sweet tooth without making me feel like I need to run 10 miles the next day (only 3 tomorrow)! So, out of the blue I decided to make angel food cake with lemon glaze and whipped cream!  To add to the lemony flavor, I used the juice of 1 lemon in place of some of the water and I also stirred in the zest of the lemon. Otherwise, I just used the Betty Crocker mix and directions.
Burnt cake! Oh no!
While I was posting about our new table, I managed our oven managed to burn the top of the cake 10 minutes before it was supposed to be done cooking. I pulled it out to prevent further damage, and luckily the inside of the cake was set enough as well.
Just the top was burnt!

Not bad!
For the glaze I mixed together the juice of 1 lemon and 2 cups of confectioner's sugar, then added water until it was the correct consistency to pour over the cake. I was feeling a little springy so I added a little  yellow food color to brighten it up a little. I know it is ridiculous but sometimes I don't feel like things taste like lemon unless they are yellow!
A little sugar and a little lemon go a long way!
YELLOW cake
Then I served each piece with whipped cream (I was lazy and used canned whip cream) and fresh strawberries! Simple and delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment